- College Student, Intruder Killed in New York Break-In
- Motorcycle Deputy Critically Hurt in East Georgia Dies
- Ohioan to Appeal Conviction in 'Dying Blinks' Case
- Woman in Towed Car Likely Died at North Carolina Crash Scene, Autopsy Finds
- New Mexico Mom Chases Down Child Abductor; Man Arrested
- New Orleans Parade Shooting Arrests Cheered
- ‘Hatchet Hitchhiker’ Arrested in New Jersey Homicide
LAS VEGAS -- A nationwide search was under way Friday for a 6-year-old boy kidnapped by two men posing as police officers who tied up his mother and her boyfriend, police said.
An nationwide Amber Alert was issued Thursday for Cole Puffinburger, but authorities said it had led to few solid leads.
"We've had a lot of tips," Las Vegas police Officer Bill Cassell said. "The frustrating thing is we have nothing new at this point."
Authorities said the boy's kidnapping from his home several miles northeast of downtown Wednesday morning was connected to a drug deal involving the child's family members.
Las Vegas Police Capt. Vincent Cannito said "significant money and drugs" were involved and the home was ransacked.
"This child witnessed that. This child was ripped from the home," he said.
Cannito would not say whether the family had been contacted about paying a ransom.
The boy is described as 3 feet 11 and 48 pounds, with blond hair, blue eyes and silver-framed glasses. He was last seen wearing blue jeans, tennis shoes, a black shirt, and a black zip-up sweat shirt with white, black and blue stars.
Authorities said that the two men posing as police were Hispanic and that a third man was also believed to be involved.
One suspect is described as having black, shoulder-length, slicked-back hair. The man, in his early 30s, is about 5 feet 7 and 150 pounds and was last seen wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.