PHOTO COURTESY HONOLULU ADVERTISER
FEATURED IN NEWS
- Police Chief: No Charges Likely in Virginia Parade Crash
- Suspect in Abduction of 2 Girls Found Dead in Iowa
- Utah Police Close 2009 Cold Case
- Off-Duty Atlanta Motorcycle Officer Hurt in Crash
- Urgent Appeal: Help for Okla. Tornado Victims
- Many Dead, Including Children, After Tornado Strikes Oklahoma City Suburb
- Chicago Paper Scrutinizes Metro Police Department's Overtime Usage
On Feb. 10, Deputy Daniel Browne-Sanchez, 27, a five-year veteran of the Hawaii Department of Public Safety, Sheriff s Division, was shot and killed while off duty when attempting to take action against an armed robber. The masked killer had entered a local restaurant, fired several shots with a .22-caliber handgun into the ceiling and wall, and ordered all of the employees into a lounge area. Browne-Sanchez, who was unarmed, attempted to subdue the subject but was shot multiple times. Employees then attacked the robber and held him until responding officers arrived. The assailant was wearing a military flak jacket under his coat.
This information was provided by the Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to honoring America s fallen law enforcement officers. For more information on this incident, other line-of-duty death reports and law enforcement memorials, visit www.odmp.org.