FEATURED IN NEWS
- College Student, Intruder Killed in New York Break-In
- Motorcycle Deputy Critically Hurt in East Georgia Dies
- Ohioan to Appeal Conviction in 'Dying Blinks' Case
- Woman in Towed Car Likely Died at North Carolina Crash Scene, Autopsy Finds
- New Mexico Mom Chases Down Child Abductor; Man Arrested
- New Orleans Parade Shooting Arrests Cheered
- ‘Hatchet Hitchhiker’ Arrested in New Jersey Homicide
SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) — Police in northwestern Louisiana say a man who yanked a woman inside a vehicle and threatened her with a shotgun was killed Wednesday in a shootout with officers after a high-speed chase, and the woman was found dead too.
The incident began as a domestic dispute in north Shreveport, according to the Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office. The initial call at 8:28 a.m. reported a man was threatening a woman with a shotgun and had pulled her inside a vehicle. When Shreveport police arrived, the suspect led officers on a high-speed chase. As it ended, he shot at officers and struck a police car and officers returned fire.
He was shot and killed by police as he fired shots at the officers while exiting the car.
The Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office later identified the man as Donnie Ray Plater, 42. His address was not immediately available, the sheriff's office said.
During the chase, police reported shots coming from the car, and the woman was found dead inside the car. The sheriff's office identified her as Cindy Johnson West, 34, of Shreveport.
No officers were injured.