FEATURED IN NEWS
- 15-Year-Old Held in Murder of Siblings
- Dead Iowa Kidnapping Suspect Probed in Cousins' Deaths
- Colorado Killer's Reprieve Sharply Criticized
- Czech Police Seek US Man Suspected of 4 Murders
- Washington Deputy Injured in Off-Duty Motorcycle Crash Dies
- Man Shot by FBI in Florida Had Ties to Boston Bombing Suspect
- Suspects in Brutal London Attack Were Targets of Earlier Security Investigations
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal prison guard had an illegal affair with an inmate convicted in one of New York's most notorious police killings and is pregnant with his child, according to court papers filed Tuesday.
Nancy Gonzalez, 29, was arrested Tuesday on charges she intentionally engaged in a sex act with Ronell Wilson while working the night shift at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn. She became pregnant in June, a few months into the affair, according to court papers.
Wilson was a young gang member when he was convicted in the point-blank shootings of two undercover officers in an illegal gun sting gone awry.
"I took a chance because I was so vulnerable and wanted to be loved and now I am carrying his child," Gonzalez said, according to court papers.
Gonzalez was released on bond after making an initial appearance in federal court in Brooklyn on a charge of having an unlawful sexual relationship with an inmate while working at the jail.
Her attorney said she's had a tragic life and makes poor decisions.
Wilson was sentenced to death in the killing of two undercover officers, but the sentence was thrown out in 2010 by an appeals court.
A new jury must decide his fate. But replay of the trial's penalty phase has been put off as Wilson's lawyers seek to convince a judge that he's ineligible for the death penalty because he's mentally disabled.