FEATURED IN NEWS
- Metro-Washington Airport Officer Shot and Killed by Wife
- New York Student Killed During Shooting between Intruder and Police
- College Student, Intruder Killed in New York Break-In
- Motorcycle Deputy Critically Hurt in East Georgia Dies
- Ohioan to Appeal Conviction in 'Dying Blinks' Case
- Woman in Towed Car Likely Died at North Carolina Crash Scene, Autopsy Finds
- New Mexico Mom Chases Down Child Abductor; Man Arrested
STUTTGART, Ark. (AP) — Authorities are investigating after an inmate reportedly set fire to a mattress in a holding cell at the Stuttgart Police Department.
Authorities say 33-year-old Jevon Stigger was being held in a cell Wednesday after he was arrested on suspicion of second-degree criminal mischief and unauthorized use of a vehicle. The Stuttgart Daily Leader reports (http://is.gd/B5vSdm ) that Stigger was searched before he was placed in the cell at the police department.
Authorities say that the fire broke out Wednesday afternoon and that the police department soon filled with black smoke.
Authorities say Stigger apparently found a pair of pants inside the holding cell — and that those pants had a book of matches in the pocket.
Stigger was moved to the Arkansas County jail and authorities say additional charges are likely.
Information from: The Stuttgart Daily Leader, http://www.stuttgartdailyleader.com/