FEATURED IN NEWS
- Police Chief: No Charges Likely in Virginia Parade Crash
- Suspect in Abduction of 2 Girls Found Dead in Iowa
- Utah Police Close 2009 Cold Case
- Off-Duty Atlanta Motorcycle Officer Hurt in Crash
- Urgent Appeal: Help for Okla. Tornado Victims
- Many Dead, Including Children, After Tornado Strikes Oklahoma City Suburb
- Chicago Paper Scrutinizes Metro Police Department's Overtime Usage
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Police in Alabama say an employee is dead after shooting himself inside a federal courthouse.
Birmingham Police Sgt. Johnny Williams says an unidentified worker pulled out a weapon and shot himself once in the head about 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
No one else was harmed and Williams says there wasn't a threat to anyone else in the building.
Williams says the shooting happened in a first-floor clerk's office. He says the man apparently was able to get the weapon inside because he worked in the building. Visitors are normally required to go through metal detectors.