Phoenix Metropolitan Police officers block off streets after a gun battle erupted during an undercover drug operation.
Chandler officer killed, two others wounded in undercover operation.
Authorities say three police officers have been shot and wounded.
FEATURED IN NEWS
- College Student, Intruder Killed in New York Break-In
- Motorcycle Deputy Critically Hurt in East Georgia Dies
- Ohioan to Appeal Conviction in 'Dying Blinks' Case
- Woman in Towed Car Likely Died at North Carolina Crash Scene, Autopsy Finds
- New Mexico Mom Chases Down Child Abductor; Man Arrested
- New Orleans Parade Shooting Arrests Cheered
- ‘Hatchet Hitchhiker’ Arrested in New Jersey Homicide
PHOENIX (AP) -- A gunbattle erupted during an undercover drug operation at a south Phoenix home Wednesday night, killing one police officer and wounding two others, police said.
Two suspects died at the scene, two others are hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries and two more are detained and being questioned, said Sgt. Steve Martos, a Phoenix police spokesman.
All three officers were from the Chandler Police Department. One of the officers was later pronounced dead at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, authorities said. One of the wounded officers is in critical condition at the same hospital while the other is in stable condition.
The names of the officers were being withheld until their families were notified, authorities said.
TV news helicopters showed the three officers being taken out of the home on stretchers about 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Police did not disclose details of the drug bust or what triggered the shootout.
- AZCentral:Chandler police officer, 2 suspects die in Phoenix shootout
- AZ Republic: Photo Gallery
- ABC13.com: PD: Officer shot in south Phoenix dies, 2 other officers injured