FEATURED IN NEWS
- 15-Year-Old Held in Murder of Siblings
- Dead Iowa Kidnapping Suspect Probed in Cousins' Deaths
- Colorado Killer's Reprieve Sharply Criticized
- Czech Police Seek US Man Suspected of 4 Murders
- Washington Deputy Injured in Off-Duty Motorcycle Crash Dies
- Man Shot by FBI in Florida Had Ties to Boston Bombing Suspect
- Suspects in Brutal London Attack Were Targets of Earlier Security Investigations
PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a northern New York man who set himself on fire about two hours after being charged with driving while intoxicated is in critical condition.
Police in Plattsburgh say 60-year-old Daniel Burke was pulled over around 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, charged with DWI and released.
Around 10 p.m., officers went to his mobile home after a neighbor reported hearing glass breaking. Authorities say they could see Burke inside the trailer and were trying to speak with him when he shut off the lights and lit himself on fire.
The officers broke down the door, dragged Burke outside and extinguished his burning clothes. The fire destroyed the trailer.
Officials at Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington, Vt., say he's in critical condition Thursday.
Police haven't said how Burke set himself on fire.