FEATURED IN NEWS
- Kentucky Officer Shot and Killed, Suspect at Large
- U.S. Man Wanted for Czech Murders Arrested by FBI at Dulles
- Lawsuit Claims Deputy Shot Man But Didn't Call Paramedics
- Mother Killed, Kids Hurt, after Shoplifters Crash in Houston
- Washington, D.C. Transit Police Arrest AED Thief
- Suspect in Killing of Utah Officer Found Dead in Cell
- New Jersey Cop Accused of Setting Fire to Captain's Home
On July 5, Deputy Sheriff Joshua Norris, 22, of the Jefferson Parish (La.) Sheriff s Office was fatally shot after responding to a domestic-disturbance-with-gunfire call. As Norris approached the residence, he immediately encountered gunfire and was struck once in the upper-right chest under his arm where his bullet-resistant vest did not offer protection. Officers responding just after the shooting drove their vehicles between the house and Norris to shield him from fire. Norris was transported to the medical center, where he died from his wounds.
The suspect was later found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, and was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Norris had served for 11 months. He is survived by his fianc e.
This information was provided by the Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to honoring America s fallen law enforcement officers. For more information on this incident, other line-of-duty death reports and law enforcement memorials, visit www.odmp.org.