- 15-Year-Old Held in Murder of Siblings
- Dead Iowa Kidnapping Suspect Probed in Cousins' Deaths
- Colorado Killer's Reprieve Sharply Criticized
- Czech Police Seek US Man Suspected of 4 Murders
- Washington Deputy Injured in Off-Duty Motorcycle Crash Dies
- Woman’s Life Saved using Vigilant Solutions’ License Plate Recognition (LPR) Data
- Morphix Technologies Chameleon Cassette for Ammonia
ALBUQUERQUE -- A man in handcuffs took off in a Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department car Tuesday after deputies attempted to arrest him on several outstanding warrants, sheriff's Lt. Greg Rees said.
M ichael M a rquez was handcuffed in the backseat of a deputy's cruiser while deputies were searching his car for drug paraphernalia when he maneuvered his handcuffs in front of him, let himself out of the cruiser and took off in a different one, Rees said.
Deputies found the car about a mile away and caught up with Marquez after a brief foot chase, Rees said. Marquez was charged with unlawfully taking a motor vehicle and escaping police custody as well as the original misdemeanor warrants.
He was being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center Tuesday on a $15,000 bond, according to jail records.